Sunday, August 7, 2011

Getting more use out of all the media available to me.

It's been a little over a month since my last post, so I should recap what's been going on.

In addition to the daily Turkish news reading I've been doing (and learning anywhere from 100-120 or so words a week), I've been concentrating on music and video.

I've taken in and learned about a song a week with pretty good results. I've tried to vary the types of music I'm listening to and learning, but frankly, I have much better luck with standard pop/pop rock music with catchy hooks and fairly concise lyrics. They're not all current hits, but they have been at some point, so they're all pretty well known songs. First up was Teoman's Sus Konuşma. The next week I went on to Serdar Ortaç's Haksızlık. I also learned the lyrics to Candan Erçetin's Hazırım. I followed that with Ferhat Göçer's Bu Şarkı Bizim Olsun (a truly beautiful song that was well worth learning). And this week I'm learning Feridun Düzağaç's Döneceksin Diye Söz Ver.

Speaking of Feridun Düzağaç, I learned of him on a program on CNN Turkish Live called Kral Çıplak. It's a program featuring interviews with different artists and it's pretty entertaining. I've been taking advantage of the live streaming video I've found. A couple other good stations I've been watching are YOL TV and Kanal Avrupa, both based out of Germany.

I'm at a point now where I can really concentrate on all that's available to me and not have to worry about why some grammatical structure is constructed the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment