Friday, January 14, 2011

Kind of a rough week

This last week has been austere, as far as language-learning goes.

I decided to come up to the cabin to enjoy some quiet winter time. The trip itself was no problem. Heating up the place was no problem either, despite the thermometer showing 10 degrees fahrenheit indoors when I arrived.

The problem? My AC adapter for my laptop died. That means that when the battery finally died (a mere three hours after firing it up), I lost access to a good deal of my material. And in a very remote part of northwestern Wisconsin at that. Luckily I have neighbors year round here and could at least head down to their place and check my email, etc. I was able to order a replacement charger through amazon.com, and it finally came today. Yay! I have everything back.

So what have I done these last few days? Well, I have a Nokia internet tablet that I could still use, and luckily, I'd copied a couple things to it. I had copied my Colloquial Norwegian course to it. So for Norwegian, that's what I'd done. There was a decent amount of writing practice, as well as exercises to keep me busy and feel productive.

For Polish, I'd managed to copy Zaczynam Móvić po Polsku. It wasn't the Chmielewska novel I'd started, and the book is substantially easier than I'd wanted, but it was fine in a pinch.

Thankfully, I had also copied over my Teach Yourself Turkish course, so I could continue on with that without any interruption.

Now that I've got everything back, tonight I'll be watching Elling, a Norwegian film. I'm looking forward to that! And after that, well, I've got enough Norwegian films to take me through a couple weeks. Of course, I'll continue watching NRK, especially the news and documentaries available.

But above all, I'm happy that I have solid access to the internet again. I had forgotten how tedious it was to actually use a paper dictionary.

1 comment:

  1. Quote Rick: "But above all, I'm happy that I have solid access to the internet again. I had forgotten how tedious it was to actually use a paper dictionary."

    I only use paper dictionaries and I have been using them all my lifetime. I need the feeling of browsing through them with my hands.

    But in any case it's important that you now have internet access again!

    Fasulye

    ReplyDelete