Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Holidays

Christmas time makes me think of all my childhood memories of the holidays with my family. For whatever reason, we always ended up spending the holidays with my Mom's side of the family, and as such, got to eat all sorts of good Norwegian cookies and treats. There's a heavy psychological link between Christmas and and all things Norwegian for me. As a child I never bothered to learn the language, though. So now I'm trying to rectify that as an adult. And the holidays seem to make me want to concentrate on just Norwegian and let Polish and Turkish wait their turn until after the new year. I'm sure they'll all have their place, regardless, but right now I've got Norwegian on the brain so...

Finding good Norwegian media to watch or listen to online isn't the easiest thing to do. Norwegian media, at least audio, is saturated with English music. I've been able to find some video on NRK's site, though. But the thing about NRK's website is that it's pretty hard to stumble around trying to find something. Their site is visually busy (to be fair, I've noticed this about pretty much any TV/Radio website.)

Being somewhat of a nerd, I also try to keep up with certain technologies, and media center software is one of them. Last weekend, XBMC released their latest version. I downloaded and installed it, then, as usual, went to look at all the plugins to see what was new. I noticed there was an updated plugin for NRK, so I installed that too. After playing around with it, I spent the whole day watching Norwegian content! Good Norwegian content! Documentaries, Series, News, Foodie shows. Pretty much whatever I could think of, I found through the plugin.

It's enough to keep me busy for a long time, and I probably won't directly visit NRK's site often anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment