Saturday, December 18, 2010

Lots and lots of music

This week has mostly been about music, at least for two of the three languages I'm taking on.

Norwegian music is pretty hard to come by through internet radio stations. It seems most streaming stations prefer to play hits in English, mostly American. Every once in a while though, I get a chance to really listen to some good Norwegian pop. P4 has been playing some decent pop lately, and I've recently discovered a singer I really like: Kari Bremnes. First off, her music overall is pretty fantastic. Second, her lyrics are interesting. And very clear. She's very easy to listen to. So I headed over to Amazon.com to see if her music was available for download. It is! I downloaded Fantastisk Allerede. It's a two CD set (which really means nothing when you're buying MP3s) and I've been enjoying it a lot. There are some other artists I've been enjoying too, such as Trang Fødsel, Áge Aleksanderse, CC Cowboys (I really have to be in the mood to listen to them), etc., but I've spent much off my music listening time with Kari Bremnes.

I also have another movie to watch, although I'm reluctant to watch it right now. I think it might be beyond me, In fact, I know it'll be beyond me. It's called Kill Buljo - a Norwegian parody of Kill Bill. And it takes place in Sami country. Maybe in a couple weeks. I'm just not up for it yet.

I would really like to start writing more in Norwegian. I'm feeling more comfortable with it and can to a certain extent express myself in writing, so I may also start to post short writings to Lang-8.

I'm doing pretty much the same thing for Polish, listening to lots of pop music and news via internet radio. Polish, in contrast with Norwegian, offers a lot of listening options. I already have a sizable collection of Polish pop music, so I continue to listen to that.

Since I've dropped reading Linia Czasu for now, I feel like I should be reading more in Polish. But I don't want to get too bogged down in just reading, since that's the bulk of what I'm now doing with Turkish. So I've decided to do some exercises from one of my workbooks - Intermediate Polish. The exercises are frankly really dry. I have another book - Colloquial Polish - that has other exercises which are much more fun, but I've already gone through them and they're a bit too elementary for me by now. I wish I could find some exercises that weren't so dry.

And finally, I'm continuing with Teach Yourself Turkish. I'm on the 4th chapter. I'm really liking it. It's throwing lots of useful vocabulary my way.

Overall, I feel like I've covered a lot with each language this week. I'm pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment