Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It's all about movies

This last week, I've become somewhat fixated on Norwegian cinema. I have access to a lot of movies I wouldn't normally find in Chicago, so I've been taking in all I can while I have the chance.

I should note right off the bat that I've still not watched "Kill Buljo" and probably won't for a while. I've got too many others I want to get to first.

So, I watched "Den Brysomme Mannen" (The Bothersome Man). Very quirky, very strange. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the lead actor, Trond Fausa Aurvaag. He's in a couple other films I've got my hands on, notably "Tatt av Kvinnen" and "Budbringeren", although I've not watched those two yet. I'm looking forward to them. They both look like they'll be every bit as off-beat as the first film. I'm trying to stay with films made within the last 20 years or so. Once I feel more comfortable with movies in general, I'll start looking for older films. I have to say, though, that my comprehension level has already noticeably increased just with the few movies I've managed to watch so far. And at this rate, I'm going to become an expert on Norwegian Cinema!

I really wish I could get my hands on more Polish films. Maybe once I'm back in Chicago. In one of the HTLAL forum threads, someone had mentioned a program called IPLA, which would have allowed me to watch many Polish TV programs. Unfortunately, I would need to have an IP address originating from Poland for it to work - and Polish proxies are slow, at least the ones I've found. And to make matters worse, the program only runs on Windows - something I no longer use. I'd also like to find some sort of graded reader in Polish, since trying to read Linia Czasu turned out to be a bad idea, but I've not been able to find anything yet. Again, maybe once I get back to Chicago.

Finally, I'm continuing with Teach Yourself Turkish. I've gone through two more chapters. I'm still quite happy with the vocabulary increase this course is giving me. I also found what I think is a decent graded reader, originally published in 1948 and reissued in 1987. But I'm nowhere near ready for that yet. But it's there waiting for me when I am. I may use that after I complete the Teach Yourself course.

No comments:

Post a Comment